One of the major uses of plastic is storing food. Usually I am good about plastic but this is a struggle for me personally. If you are like me then here is the research that I found that will help eliminate plastic when storing food.
Using plastic wrap, foil, and Ziploc bags are the go to when storing food. It is easy and usually nearby. But there are much better alternatives out there. Here are a few:
- Food Wraps by Etee
- The warmth of your hands will activate this and you can form it to go over food and dinnerware. They can be washed, and last up to 150 times. They also work in the freezer and of course it is made from recycled products.
- Natural Parchment paper
- Good for wrapping meats and fish
- Beeswax cloth
- You can make your own using these instructions. You can also find them in stores and it is long lasting. However they are not really used with meats but works well for other fresh items.
- Silicone covers
- They stretch and can be placed over bowls, plates, and are reusable. You can find them on Amazon.
There are other ways to that can replace Ziploc and plastic wrap for foods that you want to take on the go etc.
- Mason Jars
- They have been a trend for some time but they are also useful in storing food which was the purpose in the beginning.
- Pyrex with lids
- Containers that last forever and can be washed in the dishwasher. Win Win. Also good for freezer food.
- Stainless Steel
- For those who have children and want easy ways to serve food that is not plastic. Non-breakable and non-toxic.
You may ask why should I eliminate these easy plastic uses? Well here is a short version of why.
Many of our plastic contain chemicals like PET, HDPE, PVC, LDPE, etc (polyethylene densities). These are all in containers and food storage that we use. Many of these chemicals leach into our food supply. That is scary. What are you really consuming? May not have affects now, but what about later, what about future generations? Food for thought.
So there are many ways that will stop you for grabbing the easy plastic stuff. These alternatives can come in fun colors, reusable, and eco-friendly. Why are we not using more of these? Why aren’t I? Well that is about to change.